Managing Editor, The Yorkshire Post & Editor, Yorkshire Evening Post
September 2013 - December 2016
- Driving the transformation of the The Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post, playing a key role in both product relaunches and marketing strategies.
- Building external relations across private, public and voluntary sectors and co-ordinating significant campaigns which have received national profile and recognition: #SpeakYourMind & Loneliness: The Hidden Epidemic.
- Overseeing publishing operations across the YP, YEP and across the Johnston Press Yorkshire publishing unit as well as working on a day-to-day basis with the multi-media team producing compelling, journalistically sound, engaging print and online content.
- Focusing on transforming the culture into a flourishing, creative and energised digital operation with visible results: Growth in unique users, longer visits and broadening social footprint.
- Project manager for the cross-Yorkshire Tour de France build-up and coverage. Also involved in key external events: Yorkshire Women of Achievement (judge), Sport Relief Community Cash Giveaway (lead partner and judge), YEP-backed Voice of Leeds summits in association with the Leeds Community Foundation.
-Regular speaker and presenter and chaired the recent summit in Leeds organised by the Campaign to End Loneliness as part of The Yorkshire Post 'Loneliness: The Hidden Epidemic' campaign.
- Awarded Daily Newspaper of the Year as Editor of the Yorkshire Evening Post (o2 Media Awards, 2016)
Editor in Chief, Derbyshire Times & Associated Titles
2010 - 2012
Responsible for a series of paid-for weekly titles including the two biggest paid-for weeklies in the Johnston Press stable - the Mansfield Chad and Derbyshire Times - along with a portfolio of six free newspapers and 10 websites across North Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Direct editorial responsibility for the Derbyshire Times development across all media platforms whilst leading a team of more than 50 staff across eight offices.
Overseeing the transformation of the Derbyshire Times into a lively, content-rich, campaigning title fully engaged with its audience across all print/online platforms. The title reinforced its position at the heart of the communities it serves through campaigns, events, sound journalism and a focused social media strategy, developing a reputation for being a title of note that champions the region and its people.
Deputy Editor, Yorkshire Evening Post
2003 - 2010
News Editor, The Yorkshire Post
1999 - 2003
Chief Reporter, The Yorkshire Post
1997 - 1999
Mentor and coach:
Judge: Northern Powerwomen Awards
Brighouse Girls' Grammar School (4 A'Levels)
Richmond College of Further Education (NCTJ qualified)
2004 – 2005: Johnston Press, Senior Management Development Programme
CPCAP Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (ongoing)
Daily Newspaper of the Year, 2016 (Yorkshire Evening Post): O2 Media Awards (Yorkshire & Humber)
Nicola is an award-winning journalist, writer, campaigner and director of Furbisher Media.
Until recently she was Editor of the Yorkshire Evening Post and Managing Editor of The Yorkshire Post, launching important campaigns that achieved national acclaim including: Loneliness: The Hidden Epidemic, and #SpeakYourMind, aimed at combating the perceived stigmas around mental ill health.
The Yorkshire Evening Post was named Daily Newspaper of the Year under her watch in September 2016.
She is a passionate mentor and committed to championing equality of opportunity and the empowerment of young women.
After several years in Brussels she now lives near Leeds with her husband and fellow journalist, John Furbisher. She has two step-children, Jack and Alice, and is mum to Thomas, who sadly died in 2008, aged 15.